UNSURE WHAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR VISIT TO THE SNOW?
The Snowy Mountains region is subjected to unpredictable weather conditions and we suggest you bring the following to make your stay more enjoyable.
Clothing - Footwear - Accessories
Undergarments – layers of clothing or thermals.
Outerwear – waterproof and insulated clothing.
Footwear – waterproof insulated non slip boots.
Accessories – Sunglasses or goggles, waterproof insulated gloves, headwear/warm hat or beanie, sunscreen and lip balm.
Chains are compulsory for all 2 wheel drive vehicles entering the National Park, from June long weekend till the October long weekend each year, 4WD exempt.
During peak season you may wish to book your chains in advance; you will need the number off the wall of your tyres for the size eg. 205/65R15 or 185R16. Contact us if you wish to pre-book.
Information for Driving in the Snow - From the National Parks and Wildlife Service.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- 1 day is determined by the time of hire, not by a 24 hour period.
- Any lost, stolen or damaged equipment is the responsibility of the hirer and will be charged for at full retail cost.
- Equipment other than that of The Ski Company will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- A signed credit card imprint or cash is required as a security deposit on selected equipment.
- Children’s prices are determined by the size of the equipment and clothing and not by age.
- A fee of $20 is applicable for pre-booked equipment, not cancelled within 24 hours of pickup.
- Use of V-Racks and Soft Racks (and goods carried on them) is the responsibility of the hirer.
- Snow chains are hired at the customer's own risk
Driving in the Snow
Driving in the snow requires all your attention and can often cause tiredness, particularly when conditions demand a high level of concentration. Remember to be patient and enjoy your trip. The snow isn't going anywhere in a hurry - so why should you?
When driving in snowy or icy conditions, leave double the normal distance between you and the car in front. Don't break hard and avoid sharp steering movements: stopping on icy roads takes a lot longer. The speed limit in many areas of Kosciuszko National Park is reduced to 80 km/h during winter.
Take extra care around snow ploughs. They may be operating on the wrong side of the road and are not easily maneuverable.
To protect your vehicle ensure that your radiator has effective antifreeze. If in doubt, have your service station perform an electrolyte test. If you drive a diesel vehicle you will need a 'winter' diesel mix. Winter mix has special additives which stop the fuel freezing. If you still have plenty of fuel in your tank on arrival in the mountains, it may be sufficient to top it up and run the vehicle for 10 to 20 minutes. Check with a local service station.
The NRMA website has some helpful tips for safe motoring in snowy conditions. www.mynrma.com.au
It is compulsory to carry properly-fitting snow chains if you are driving a two-wheel-drive vehicle between 1 June to 10 October on the following roads:
- Kosciuszko Road beyond Sawpit Creek
- the Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
- the Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length
Snow chains should be fitted as directed by NPWS, RTA and Police officers. 4WD vehicles do not need to carry snow chains.
Chains may also be required in certain weather conditions on the Alpine Way between Jindabyne and Thredbo and the Kosciuszko Road below Sawpit Creek. Check road conditions before you travel.
To check road conditions on Kosciuszko Road, the Alpine Way and other RTA-managed roads, visit the RTA's South/South-West Traffic Reports webpage.
To check conditions and closures on roads managed by the NPWS, contact the Kosciuszko National Park office or visit the Kosciuszko National Park fire, flood and park closure information webpage.
The road from Khancoban to Cabramurra, and many of the park's minor roads, are closed in winter.
Provided by the National Parks and Wildlife Service - www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au
We are open 7 days - 6am till late and 2am Friday.
Call us with any enquiry - 1800 686 125 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Site design by Mohr Designs - www.mohrdesigns.com.au